Thursday, June 30, 2011

Shortmail.com

Before email, communications teams printed memos to leave on desks or post on bulletin boards. Hard to imagine, right?

In the not-so-distant future, we’re going to explain to the new kids that we sent & read long emails (novellas, really) to communicate w each other.

Here's a baby step: Shortmail.com. It’s Twitter meets email. In fact, if you have a Twitter acct, you have an email acct waiting for you to claim. (I'm hedcon@shortmail.com.)

Imagine if everyone in the company kept their messages to <500 characters. Would we save time? Communicate better? Try it & let me know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. First, it's been a month since your last post. second, I found in my last position that the shorter the email, the greater the chance for mis-communications, particularly when you're dealing with lots of coworkers to whom English isn't their first language.

    Over time, my emails became longer and longer in efforts to precisely say what I wanted to.

    ReplyDelete